[C++-sig] ublas vector based arithmetic

Andreas Kloeckner ak at ixion.net
Wed Sep 1 11:22:50 CEST 2004

Hi Neal, all,

Am Di, den 31.08.2004 schrieb Neal D. Becker um 16:57:
> Recently I proposed using std::vector for arithmetic.  Since then it was
> suggested to look at ublas.  I think
> this is a good idea for my
> requirements.
> [snip]
> I have gotten an implementation working, based mostly on Pylinear-0.9 from
> Andreas Kloeckner,ak at ixion.net, http://pylinear.sf.net.  My version is much
> smaller, simpler and without all the dependencies, but only handles vectors
> (not matrices).  It adds some convenience features, like constructing
> vectors from tuples/lists.

pylinear.sf.net is not active currently, but I hope I'll have time to
upload an initial set of stuff soon. I never got an activation email
from Sourceforge, but I suppose they quietly approved the project...
strange. :)

As of right now, Pylinear is a bit slower than Numeric, but I believe
that a bunch of this can be ironed out by taking a closer look at the
BPL. (I haven't checked what performance will be like using the BPL from
1.32)

The first thing that I'm planning on doing is to make Pylinear usable
without the extra linear algebra libraries. Neal: I'd also like your
construction patches if you'd like to supply them.

Andreas