[C++-sig] Building boost.python on Mac OS X

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 14:54:46 CEST 2003

--- Jonathan Brandmeyer <jbrandmeyer at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I just repeated your results on our machine and have a couple of
> comments / questions.  The source package for Python 2.3 uses build
> rules that are incompatible with FSF GCC.  So, I built Python with the
> Apple-distributed GCC 3.1 and Boost.Python with the FSF-distributed GCC
> 3.3.1.

That's exactly what I did.

> I'm using Boost.Python 1.30.0 (with Debian patches) with G++ 3.3.1 on
> Debian without any ICE's.  Can you elaborate?

Debian sounds like Linux. The stacksize problem is a Mac OS X issue. Also note
that the ICE's occur only while compiling files with a fairly large number of
Boost.Python bindings.

> Finally, have you or anyone else had any experience building
> Boost.Python with a non-framework installation of Python (such as that
> packaged by fink)?

It is my understanding that Boost.Python requires a framework build of Python.
Rene had a posting about this almost a year ago:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2002-October/002397.html

Pursuing his ideas eventually lead to success. See also the other postings with
the same subject:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2002-October/date.html

Ralf