[C++-sig] Re: RTTI and image size

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Mon Oct 20 03:36:55 CEST 2003

On 19 Oct 2003 at 17:01, David Abrahams wrote:

> > Sounds to me like GCCXML is again the answer - where it sees calls
> > to some luabind function with some type, it outputs the type into a
> > file from where luabind can assign it a unique id.
>
> I assume you mean Boost.Python, not luabind.

I meant luabind which from my cursory reading of the docs spoke about
assigning unique integers to types.

> Anyway, you're essentially assuming that someone can figure out how to
> generate smaller RTTI information than MSVC does already.  "Don't
> assume you can do the job better than the compiler already does" is a
> cardinal rule for embedded programmers using C++; I don't see why it
> shouldn't apply here just as well.

It has, because of the standard, to generate RTTI for anything which
could be queried, including by something loading it in as a DLL. Now
I know that can't happen and that all use of RTTI it does is limited
to what it does, so therefore there is great scope for cutting stuff
out.

> GCC generates gigantic .so's if you leave debug info in them.  Have
> you tried MSVC with optimizations and no debug info?

MSVC7.1 won't compile them with PDB turned on (exceeds limits) - and
with COFF debug info it's very, very slow (as in linking ran for
twenty hours and still wasn't done). So basically realistically I can
only compile with all debug info off.

It's throwing an attribute error exception when I import into python
now which is new and didn't happen before. And I can't see anything
which might have caused it (nothing's changed :( ).

Cheers,
Niall