[C++-sig] Pyste suggestion: MSVC precompiled headers support

Nicodemus nicodemus at globalite.com.br
Wed Oct 8 04:41:36 CEST 2003

Hi Niall,

Niall Douglas wrote:

>How did you separate the two sets of header files?
>
>There will be a few eg; boost/python.hpp which will be common to all
>source files. These can be precompiled.
>
>There will however be other specified by Include() which are in some
>and not others. These would be "forgotten" by MSVC if they appear
>before the #pragma hdrstop.
>
>I would suggest Include() for per-file includes and CommonInclude()
>for the cross-module includes. Then even better you can have your
>converter registering modules (I call mine _regconvs) generate your
>precompiled headers for you which saves another ten seconds :)
>
>(BTW I've not forgotten the C array access class, right now I'm
>getting to grips with scons (python based make system) so I can
>finally compile two files at once and use all my processor space).

Sorry, you will have to be a little more specific than that: I have no
experience with precompiled headers. 8)
Also, could you tell the compiler switch and how to create/use
precompiled headers? Using just your code didn't improve the speed at
all, and didn't generate any PCH file. 8(

But I am not very inclined to add a new function just to support
precompiled headers, since they're only avaiable on windows... 8/
And, from the little I know, you can always generate your own
pre-compiled header and include that in your Pyste files, right?

Regards,
Nicodemus.