[C++-sig] Re: Interest in luabind

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 14:47:55 CEST 2003

--- David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> <shiver>
> Your way, mistakes by the user of the *interpreter* can
> easily crash the system.  My way, only the guy/gal doing the
> wrapping has to be careful:
>
>          >>> x = X()
>          >>> z = x.y
>          >>> del x
>          >>> z.foo()  # crash
>
> The users of these interpreted environments have an
> expectation that their interpreter won't *crash* just
> because of the way they've used it.
> </shiver>

As a user who (finally!) writes mainly new Python code I really value
the safe-but-certain approach. If the interpreter crashes somewhere deep
down in the application without printing a backtrace it is often very
frustrating and time-consuming to isolate the problem by adding print
statements. In a large-scale application it is crucial that all
components are rock-solid.
Ralf