[C++-sig] functions whose return type is a pointer

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 15:55:40 CET 2003

--- Beetle <BeetleHoHo at hotmail.com> wrote:
>    If I do this :
>     >>> a = A()
>     >>> px = a.getAttributeX()
>     what is the data type of px anyway,  or I simply can't do this kind of
> wrapping ?

You can, but you have to deal with life-time issues explicitly. This is
explained very nicely in the tutorial:

http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/call_policies.html

For this you will have to have a class_<B> statement also.

Ralf

P.S.: Recently there was a thread on wrapping "opaque pointers":

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2003-January/003207.html

I am not sure what the current status of the corresponding patch is. Please
check the archive for the whole story if this sounds interesting.