[C++-sig] std::vector

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat Oct 5 19:11:56 CEST 2002

From: "Scott A. Smith" <ssmith at magnet.fsu.edu>

> Right, David had already told me about the versioning but I forgot. I
> downloaded the
> RC_1_29_0 branch and it compiled fine from libs/python to produce a
bpl.dll.
> I think David also told me that name alone (vs. boost_python.dll)
indicates
> V2?
> I assume compiling from libs/python/test would do the same (but also
compile
> the
> test sources therein).

It's now impossible to be confused about which version you're using because
v1 is no longer in the CVS repository, neither on the main trunk nor on the
RC_1_29_0 branch.

> I guess it will be a while before I get to try out std::vector because
none
> of my
> currently used BP headers are working with V2 (e.g.
> boost/python/reference.hpp,
> boost/python/class_builder.hpp). Since they seem to be completely gone

Those were v1 interfaces, which are now dead.

> & I
> cannot
> find any documentation about which are used when,

There is fairly complete and up-to-date reference documentation in
libs/python/doc/v2/reference.html

(also
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/boost/boost/libs/
python/doc/v2/index.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html)

> I guess that leaves going
> through
> the codes in libs/python/test to determine how things work? Probably a
good
> idea
> in general anyway.

Probably.

> Not that I am complaining, I know this is in flux. But is
> that
> what I should be doing

Reading the docs and looking at the examples it contains, as well as the
tests in libs/python/test/*.cpp, is a good approach.

> or is there some other means available for finding
> such
> things out, akin to the examples stemming off of the current Boost.Python
> WWW page
> perhaps?

There are also v2 examples in libs/python/example now.

> After a glance through some files in /test it looks as things are
> now
> radically different & I have a lot of work ahead of me just to switch to
> V2......

Yes, things are radically different. The new library is a complete rewrite
with a new interface. You should find it much easier to use, but it is
going to require some adjustments.

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting