[C++-sig] Problems Getting Started in Boost.Python

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Fri May 31 17:11:01 CEST 2002

--- "Scott A. Smith" <ssmith at magnet.fsu.edu> wrote:
> Can someone please explain what form of stupidity I am plagued with now?
> Should all of this be working?

The stupidity is not on your part.
Currently you get both V1 and V2 if you checkout cvs.
If you run bjam in the build or example directory, you are using V1.
If you run bjam in libs/python or libs/python/test, your are using V2.
Obvious?
David, a few lines of comment at the top of each Jam file would be
incredibly helpful.

The other unobvious step is that you have to also checkout the mbl
development branch. cd into your local boost cvs copy, then:

cvs update -APd
cvs update -Pd -rmpl-development boost/mpl

Then you have to build/get bjam somehow. Apparently you did this already.
Just in case, I cd to tools/build/jam_src, entered make and copied the
bjam that it puts in bin or bin-linux or some directory like that.

Here is what I used on Linux in libs/python/test to finally compile V2:

bjam -sBOOST_ROOT=/net/cci/rwgk/boost -sPYTHON_ROOT=/usr/local_cci/Python-2.2.1
-sTOOLS=gcc -sPYTHON_VERSION=2.2

The getting_started1 etc. examples in the "example" directory are all
for V2. Unfortunately I find the tests/examples in V2 not very helpful
to the end user. I am planning to "port" the old examples to V2 in the
next couple of weeks.

I am holding my breath to see what happens on Mac OS X. I'd run the bjam
command with the -d2 (or was it -d+2?) option under Linux or Cygwin or
whatever you have where it works out of the box, then emulate the
compile and link commands under Mac OS X. (I could give you a Makefile
that you could use as a start, modify, enter make, until you figure
out the magic combination of options that works.)

Ralf