[C++-sig] Link trouble on OS X

Scott A. Smith ssmith at magnet.fsu.edu
Thu May 23 13:28:26 CEST 2002

Hi Dave,

> > gcc-Link-action

../../../libs/python/build/bin/libboost_python.so/gcc/release/inlining-on/
> > runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.so
> > /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lutil

> This was needed for GCC under cygwin and Linux, so I assumed it was a GCC
> dependency, but I never built it on OS X. Try reproducing the command-line
> by hand without -lutil and see if everything works. If it does, I'll edit
> that out of the Jam file for the OS X case.

I guess I need clarification. The command gcc-Link-action appears to be some
sort of macro that Jam uses and I don't know what that is. No where on any
build line echoed to the screen is -lutil written, only on the error line.
Nor can I find util in any of the mak files, or the definition of
gcc-Link-action.
In short, I don't know what/where I should be editing this. To me the output
appears significantly different than that from a makefile, or I could do
what you ask.
I did try running the subsequent command (gcc ...) without -lutil but this
produced
a lot of errors about undefined symbols such as _PyErr_* that don't look at
all related
to util.

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. I only tried to build 1.28.0 because you said 1.25.0 was so ancient!
     Even worse, I can't get the build to work under CygWin either so I'll
     have more questions for this group in short order.

 Dr. Scott A. Smith
 Associate in Research
 National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
 1800 East Paul Dirac Drive