[C++-sig] high level overview of boost.python implementation

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Sat Jun 29 14:19:22 CEST 2002

From: "Achim Domma" <achim.domma at syynx.de>

> Hi Dave,
>
> would it be possible to get a high level overview ot the implementation
of
> boost.python?

Somebody should write that, at some point.

> (if there's already such a document, I was not able to find
> it)

There is not such a document yet.

> You sometimes ask for contributions, especially implementation of not
> too complex, straight forward code. Looking at the code, I understand
single
> pieces, but I do not get the big picture, which is neccessary, if I would
> try to contribute (and I would like to contribute, if possible).

I'm not sure whether a big-picture view is neccessary for all jobs, but I
appreciate that it can be scary to propose a change without seeing
everything.

> I don't ask for more documentation,

Well, really, you are asking for that <0.2 wink>!

> only a starting point where look, to get
> familiar with the code, and the main concepts you are using.

Suggestion: ask specific questions and write down the answers until the big
picture begins to form in your mind, then write the implementation overview
document yourself and contribute it to the project. I'll be happy to add
corrections, etc. If it's any consolation, I have to do the same thing for
the Python codebase itself at some point ;-)

-Dave