[C++-sig] pickle support patches checked in

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 09:26:09 CEST 2002

I have just checked in the patches that complete the pickle support.
This is tested with VC6, CodeWarrior 7.2, cxx 6.5 and gcc 3.0.4.
If the 8-platform auto-build in a few minutes shows any problems I will
address them tomorrow morning.

Regarding documentation: there is one additional class_<> member
function: def_pickle(). I am uncertain how to document pickle_group.
The public static functions are of no value to the user. They are just
there to enable the compile-time error messages(**). Would it be best
to just document a "pickle_group concept?"

Ralf

(**) It would help in my case if C++ had smarter rules for resolving:

struct base { static void foo(); }
struct user { static void foo(); }
struct merge : user, base

merge::foo(); // according to the current standard "ambiguous"

I also tried:

struct base { static void foo(); }
struct user { static void foo(); }
struct intermediate : base {}; // to create "a larger distance"
struct merge : user, intermediate

merge::foo(); // still "ambiguous"

Isn't that a real obstacle to meta-programming?