[C++-sig] Re: Compile failure with object in V2

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Sun Jul 14 13:28:51 CEST 2002

From: "Dave Hawkes" <daveh at cadlink.com>

> "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams at rcn.com> wrote in message
> news:1c5501c22aca$7aa85dd0$6601a8c0 at boostconsulting.com...
> > From: "Dave Hawkes" <daveh at cadlink.com>
> >

> > > I was working on some tests for the the boost components I've been
> > working
> > > on and came across this issue.
> > >
> > > If an object is initialised with a class that is a sub class of
another
> > > compiler error results, though I'm not sure if this is a specific
> problem
> > > with VC6:
> >
> > Why don't you find out? MinGW and Cygwin are free...
> >
> As I suspected it looks like a VC6 problem as it compiles fine with gcc.
> Looking at the MS docs for error C2275 I can't see how it would apply in
> this situation either.
> Have you come across this issue before?

Not this particular one, but I've worked around many similar mysterious
problems in the past.

> If not or there's no known
> workaround, I'm not sure if it's worth attempting any code rearrangements
> work around this as not many people will probably come across it.

If you want to try something, try doing a search/replace which turns all
instances of "c##" in boost/python/detail/returning.hpp into "zyx##".

I've seen VC6 get confused about which entities a name should refer to when
there's more than one possibility before.

-Dave