[C++-sig] Boost.Python v2: user-accessible from_python conversions

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 14:05:37 CEST 2002

--- David Abrahams <david.abrahams at rcn.com> wrote:
> So in your case you can gain some efficiency in overload resolution when
> conversion fails, by detecting that conversion will fail without using a
> C++ exception, but you'll still need the code to handle one. Does that
> change your vote?

It is not only efficiency: as we all know exception handling is unreliable on
some platforms. If we can get overload resolution to work without exception
handling "under normal circumstances" it can make a big difference in the real
world. I might be able to tolerate a crash (due to buggy exception handling) if
there is a "true" error/problem. However, if the application relys on exception
handling as a trick for dealing with "normal" situations (i.e. V1 overload
resolution) I might have to say that a certain platform cannot be used at all.
Ralf