[C++-sig] packaging and distribution

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo at hiper.com.br
Tue Aug 20 18:53:04 CEST 2002

Hi,

I was looking for a way to move stuff around after boost.build builds them, and
so I found the 'stage' rule for bjam. However, I didn't find a way to
reference a built extension module.

For instance, in libs/python/build/Jamfile, the rule: 'dll boost_python'
builds, libboost_python.so in unix, which can then be referenced by the
stage rule 'bin-stage', in that same Jamfile, as <dll>boost_python.

So, when I use an 'extension someextension' rule, how do I reference the
resulting someextension.so file in a 'stage' rule? I tried
'<extension>someextension', but this doesn't seem to work.

The reason for this question is that I'm looking for an equivalent of
'make install'. More to the point, I want to move libboost_python.so
into some ld.so.conf sanctioned area and the extensions that depend on
it to the appropriate site-packages directory, so that I don't have to
keep munging LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PYTHONPATH variables to test stuff.

Maybe what I really need is to know how to integrate boost.build with
distutils...

Cheers, Leo

--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.