[core-workflow] Use something other than an In-joke for Trigger Phrases

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Oct 8 12:44:52 EDT 2017

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 at 00:55 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 October 2017 at 07:38, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>
>> Currently the workflow for CPython development requires people to say 'I
>> didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition’ in order to request a re-review of
>> their work. Can we please use a phrase for this that makes more sense
>> rather than, as Alex put it, “magic inside baseball language”.
>>
>> In jokes can be fun when they’re able to essentially be just noise to
>> people who aren’t part of the in crowd (e.g. the bot name being one is
>> fine) but they’re kind of crummy when a core part of the developer
>> experience or API. Leave it in as an Easter egg if you like (and probably
>> should for backwards compatibility anyways), but please make something else
>> be the primary phrase.
>>

> I'd agree with this (especially since references to the Spanish
> inquisition aren't going to be funny for folks that are still facing
> religious persecution).
>
> Having the bot name in the trigger phrase is a good way to avoid
> accidental activation, so something like "Bedevere: ready for review" would
> be good (and, as Donald notes, it's fine to keep the current phrase as a
> secondary trigger - it just shouldn't be the main documented one).

I actually wouldn't want the bot name in the trigger phrase since you're
not addressing the bot but the reviewer(s). So using something that is
unambiguous as a trigger phrase like "please re-review" or "please review
again" that won't come up in conversation about what is required should be
enough to be unambiguous of the intent of the commenter as well has not
seeming quite so forced.