[core-workflow] self-approving pull requests

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Feb 24 19:17:45 EST 2017

Two things. One, has someone verified that if a core dev edits a PR that
the squash commit still gives the PR creator the author credit in the git
metadata? I remember doing an edit like this once and GitHub didn't show
any author credit in the web UI because I assume GitHub refused to guess
who the author credit should go to. So if someone could test this in a
checkout that would be great as that means
https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues/7 can be easily solved and
we can automate Misc/ACKS.

Two, we are going to review the new workflow in two weeks after having been
using it for a month (I can't believe it's only been two weeks since the
migration!). Since the sign-off requirement has generated the most
discussion, what I will do is swap the requirement for PR merging to be no
required review but to require all-green status checks (in a previous email
Donald alluded to the fact that I thought self-approval would be possible
in "emergencies" but that obviously doesn't hold). This will give us
basically 2 weeks with both approaches when we review the process so we can
make an informed decision.