[core-workflow] self-approving pull requests

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Feb 17 17:39:15 EST 2017

I submitted PR#138 on bpo-22807.  I got a nice review from a community member
and made a small change.  All checks have passed.

But now I'm stuck and I'm impatient. ;)

The change is small enough and I'm happy with it, and I could patiently wait
for another core dev to approve it, but in the likely case that no one else is
interested in the bug, I'd like to be able to self-approve and accept it.
This of course is described as my right in the devguide, along with the
responsibility to watch the buildbots and revert the change if there are any
problems with it.

But it seems like I cannot do that through the GH UI.  Right now I'm seeing

(X) Review required
(✓) All checks have passed
(X) Merge is blocked

There seems to be no way to self-approve the PR.  If I go to 'Files changed'
tab and click on 'Review changes', both Approve and Request changes is
dimmed.  I can only comment on my own PR.

I can understand why we might want to prohibit self-approvals, but that's also
a regression in the permissions and rights of core developers.  I also think
it's counterproductive since without that I might have to go begging for a
review approval before the branch can land.

Is this intentional or an oversight?

(As an owner of the project, I took a quick look at the project settings and
couldn't find a control for this, but I know other GH projects I contribute to
support self-approval.)

Cheers,
-Barry