[core-workflow] Choosing a prefix/label for issue numbers

Martin Panter vadmium+py at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 06:52:37 EST 2017

Count me as a weak -0.5 or so for altering commit messages. I think it
is easy enough to understand that historical messages refer to a
particular bug tracker, and false positives can be annoying,
distracting, make you wonder about the sanity of the person who
originally made the commit, etc.

On 7 February 2017 at 11:19, Senthil Kumaran <senthil at uthcode.com> wrote:
> I did a sample migration of the repo with the change we discussed for
> rewrite #NNNN to bpo-NNNN
>
> The migrated test-repo is here:
> https://github.com/orsenthil/cpython-migration-test
>
> An example of commit message re-write from #NNNN to bpo-NNNN is here:

This is the commit message before and after:

https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/82d1c8d15e18
Issue #29460: _PyArg_NoKeywords(), _PyArg_NoStackKeywords() and
_PyArg_NoPositional() now are macros.
> https://github.com/orsenthil/cpython-migration-test/commit/c64d263ec003f09fe4ebc50912fbe28de96fb2d3
Issue bpo-29460: _PyArg_NoKeywords(), _PyArg_NoStackKeywords() and
_PyArg_NoPositional() now are macros.

Having both "Issue" and "bpo" there is redundant. It could just be

bpo-29460: _PyArg_NoKeywords(), _PyArg_NoStackKeywords() and
_PyArg_NoPositional() now are macros.

Also, I guess if you restricted the rule to "Issue #NNNN", that may
reduce false positives. Modern example of a false positive, with
upstream "typing" project references:

https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/794dad4b849f
Issue #28556: merge 5 more typing changes from upstream (#340, #344,
#348, #349, #350)
https://github.com/orsenthil/cpython-migration-test/commit/8840a59
Issue bpo-28556: merge 5 more typing changes from upstream (bpo-340,
bpo-344, bpo-348, bpo-349, bpo-350)

On the other hand, replacing just #NNNN correctly catches other
notations, e.g. to <https://bugs.python.org/issue433233>:

http://svn.python.org/view?view=revision&revision=21142
Fix SF #433233: syntax error.
https://github.com/orsenthil/cpython-migration-test/commit/aa4de32
Fix SF bpo-433233: syntax error.

> Please review the repo and see if it has everything that we will need
> after migration

One other thing that I noticed: The Mercurial branch name is recorded
as an annotation to the commit message, e.g.
<https://github.com/orsenthil/cpython-migration-test/commit/851c48a>:

'''
Substitute a more readable f-string

--HG--
branch : 3.6
'''

I would prefer without this annotation, like the old
<https://github.com/python/cpython> mirror.

Less important (can be fixed afterwards): Probably don't need the
legacy-trunk branch. I understand this is just what the 2.7 (and
earlier) branches were branched from. But since there was already a
separate py3k branch when 2.7 was branched, there is nothing useful in
legacy-trunk that is not in 2.7.