[core-workflow] Choosing a prefix/label for issue numbers

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Feb 3 19:31:01 EST 2017

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 at 16:25 Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2017, at 19:16, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 at 16:06 Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:
> >> 2. What about Misc/NEWS entries?  Are we going to continue to ask
> committers to use the old format (Issue #nnnnn) there?  Note these are
> currently auto-linked in the docs builds, e.g.
> https://docs.python.org/3.6/whatsnew/changelog.html.
> > Don't know. My expectation is that long term we won't even specify them
> in the entry itself and it will be part of the filename when we move to a
> file-per-entry solution.
>
> That would be nice long-term.  I guess we just need to be clear during the
> immediate transition what the expectation for committers are about what
> forms they need to use in the commit messages and in Misc/NEWS.  That needs
> to be spelled out in transition announcements and in the devguide to
> minimize confusion, especially if they will no longer be the same, e.g
> "bpo-NNNNN" in the commit message but "Issue #NNNNN" in Misc/NEWS.

Yes. I guess if we want to minimize tool churn on this and not impact
bugfix releases we should keep Misc/NEWS as-is until we make an actual
Misc/NEWS change.

Once Maciej says he has changed the appropriate regexes the devguide  can
be updated in the github branch and all of this will be in any announcement
email I make about what has changed in the migration (e.g. CLA bot,
cherrypicking, etc.). I'll probably start that as a doc next week when I'm
not sick so people can help me fill in gaps.