[core-workflow] Voting on possible subdomains for the devguide

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Apr 11 13:57:08 EDT 2017

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 at 10:42 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Last I heard from then, RTD was struggling financially. Hosting isn't
> really free, you know -- nor is administering a site like that :-). The PSF
> should offer to cover their costs for hosting the Python docs, which I
> presume are pretty dang popular compared to many other things currently
> hosted at RTD -- the peps and devguide won't cause any load in comparison.

I've brought it up with Eric Holscher before and he's said he doesn't want
any open source project to feel like they have to pay. That being said I
would ask the PSF to be a sponsor of some form if we did move all the docs
over (for the devguide I'm not worried about the increased traffic). I've
also suggested to Eric to apply for a PSF grant to move the docs over to
Read the Docs so he can get paid to help make sure any such migration would
be done well.

-Brett