[core-workflow] Spelling out a suggested local workflow for sending PRs?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 21:42:54 EST 2016

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> The easy way:
>
> * clone the upstream repo read-only
> * add your fork as an additional read/write remote:
>   * e.g. "git remote add pr <URL of fork>"
> * work in a branch
>   * e.g. "git checkout master && git checkout -b issueNNNN-summary-of-issue"
> * publish via your fork, and then submit back to the main repo
>   * "git push pr"
>   * use the web UI to submit the PR

My workflow is exactly this, except that I have my own fork under the
name "origin", and the upstream as "upstream". I then tell have these
two commands (script/alias):

branch:
git fetch upstream master:master
git checkout -b "$1" master

push:
git push -u origin `git symbolic-ref --short HEAD`

To work on something:

$ branch issueNNNN-whatever-branch-name
... make edits ...
$ git commit ...
$ push

And then use the web UI to submit the PR. (There are alternatives to
that, but I don't do enough to justify them.)

The 'branch' command does a network transaction, so it'll take a bit
of time. But it's the easiest way to make sure I never forget to
update to the latest upstream. If in doubt, script it :)

ChrisA