[core-workflow] Github Mirrors - Should Disallow Pull Request / Issue Creation Until the migration

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Jul 10 12:33:39 EDT 2016

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 at 00:15 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 July 2016 at 11:12, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 at 13:01 Carol Willing <willingc at willingconsulting.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Brett,
>>>
>>> One thing that could be done is to use a pull request template to notify
>>> users BEFORE they make a PR that the CPython mirror is not the correct
>>> place to submit contributions.
>>>
>>> See https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/41 as an example of the
>>> template.
>>>

>> The problem with a template is it has to be checked into the cpython
>> repository which will make sense once we migrate, but I don't know if it
>> does while we are not moved over yet.
>>

> I don't see any problem with doing that early - we already carry a
> .gitignore file for the benefit of folks using hg-git bridges, so if we
> wanted to start experimenting with GitHub workflows (including things like
> Travis CI), why gate that on actually doing the migration first if we can
> use the existing mirrors for it?

OK, then feel free to commit it to hg.python.org/cpython (I doubt it can be
committed to the git repo since the mirroring either does a push which will
fail do to the difference or it does a `push --force` which will just
overwrite the change). I'm personally busy with other stuff right now and
this is low-priority for me personally as we get at most two accidental PRs
a month ATM so I'm going to pass on putting this ahead of other stuff I
need to get done for 3.6 or the devguide (this isn't meant to sound
frustrated or anything, BTW).