[core-workflow] Github Mirrors - Should Disallow Pull Request / Issue Creation Until the migration

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Sat Jul 9 22:12:23 EDT 2016

![](https://link.nylas.com/open/1oeantoc6n5zav9mkp4e6rmlq/local-bcd5514a-
5c6f?r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)

<[willingc at willingconsulting.com](mailto:willingc at willingconsulting.com)>
wrote:

>> Hi Brett,

>> One thing that could be done is to use a pull request template to notify
users BEFORE they make a PR that the CPython mirror is not the correct place
to submit contributions.

>> See
[https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/41](https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/41&r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)
as an example of the template.

> The problem with a template is it has to be checked into the cpython
repository which will make sense once we migrate, but I don't know if it does
while we are not moved over yet.

I was thinking that you could check-in to the GitHub mirror in a .git
directory unless mirroring would blow it away each update. I wasn't thinking
it would need to be in the hg hosting of CPython code.

Removing it once the migration happens.

<[brett at python.org](mailto:brett at python.org)> wrote:

>>> The problem with the python-tutor org is we don't control it and we don't
know whose it is.

>>> As for turning off the PRs for Python/cpython, GH doesn't provide a way to
do that. Best we can do is reply to the PRs to say the repo is just a mirror
and PRs are not accepted and get the transition done sooner rather than later
(hoping to get the devguide moved this month; need to schedule it with the PDF
infra team).

<[senthil at uthcode.com](mailto:senthil at uthcode.com)> wrote:

> [...]
mirrors of cpython.

[http://bugs.python.org/issue25435#msg253159](http://bugs.python.org/issue25435#msg253159&r=YnJldHRAcHl0aG9uLm9yZw==&r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)

[http://bugs.python.org/issue27466](http://bugs.python.org/issue27466&r=YnJldHRAcHl0aG9uLm9yZw==&r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)

git/python/issues/6](https://github.com/python-
git/python/issues/6&r=YnJldHRAcHl0aG9uLm9yZw==&r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)

git&r=YnJldHRAcHl0aG9uLm9yZw==&r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)  should
either redirect to
[github.com/python](http://github.com/python&r=YnJldHRAcHl0aG9uLm9yZw==&r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)
or shutdown.

[github.com/python](http://github.com/python&r=YnJldHRAcHl0aG9uLm9yZw==&r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)
project should disallow Pull Request / Issue Creation.

things?   Also if anyone else has suggestions please share it in this email
thread.

workflow&r=YnJldHRAcHl0aG9uLm9yZw==&r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)
[https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct](https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct&r=YnJldHRAcHl0aG9uLm9yZw==&r=Y29yZS13b3JrZmxvd0BweXRob24ub3Jn)