[core-workflow] My initial thoughts on the steps/blockers of the transition

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jan 6 13:18:13 EST 2016

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 at 23:46 Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> was already happening when people were discussing the patch on
> Rietveld, and others were only looking at b.p.o and/or missing the
> reviews, both because the email from rietveld ended up in the spam
> folder, and because there was no way to know from b.p.o if someone
> posted a review.)
>
> I think it's ok to have discussions on b.p.o and reviews on github
> (similarly to what we currently do with Rietveld), as long as the
> everyone gets notified.  Discussions that are not strictly related to
> the code/review shouldn't happen on github.
>
> As for the notifications, I think the best option is:
> * when a PR is posted, it's also automatically added to the issue (to
> the list of PRs, similar to the list of patches; generates an email
> too);
> * when a review is posted, a new message with a link is added to the
> issue (this is like a regular message, and generates an email too);
> * when someone posts a PR/review on github, they will also be added
> automatically on the nosy list of the issue on b.p.o (so they will
> receive b.p.o messages);
> * when a PR/review is posted, people in the issue nosy on b.p.o are
> NOT added to the PR nosy list (they already get new PRs/reviews
> notifications from b.p.o).
>
> This means that:
> * when a PR is posted:
>   * the PR author will get a mail from b.p.o confirming that the PR
> has been added to the issue if they have a linked account (possibly on
> top of any email github might send for creating a PR);
>   * people in the issue nosy on b.p.o will get an email that lets them
> know a PR has been added;
> * when a review is posted:
>   * the PR author and the reviewers will get two emails (one from
> github and one from b.p.o if they have a linked account) or one (from
> github, if they don't);
>   * people in the issue nosy will only get one email (from b.p.o, with
> a link to the review);
> * when a message is posted:
>   * the PR author and reviewers will get one email (from b.p.o if they
> have a linked account) or zero (if they don't);
>   * people in the issue nosy will get one email (from b.p.o);
>
> The "problematic" cases are:
> * the PR author and the reviewers will receive two emails for reviews
> if they have a linked account;
> * the PR author and the reviewers will receive zero emails for b.p.o
> messages if they don't have a linked account;
>
> The former can be solved if we add a way to disable review emails from
> b.p.o or if github provides one already (or using email filters).  The
> latter can't be solved unless they link accounts (I don't think b.p.o
> messages should go to github).
>
> FWIW I would personally prefer to get all emails from b.p.o, either
> ignoring/filtering duplicated review emails from github, or disabling
> them from github if possible.
>
> If you agree, this is what needs to be done:
> 1) automatically add PRs to b.p.o issues;

This is a blocker.

> 2) automatically add a message on b.p.o when a review is posted on github;

With the way GitHub does reviews, this won't make sense. Each comment on a
PR is essentially its own review (as Eric complained about because that
means each comment is treated as a separate thing and thus generates its
own email). It isn't like with Rietveld where there is a "Review + Email"
step to send draft reviews and hence a review is a group of comments.

> 3) add a "github username" field to b.p.o users to link accounts;

That's a blocker for CLA enforcement.

> 4) automatically add the PR author (during step 1) and reviewers
> (during step 2) to the issue nosy list on b.p.o;

I view this as a great nicety but not a blocker.

> 5) add an option to disable review emails (optional);

This will have to be discussed in connection with the emails per PR comment
in case there is a misunderstanding of what a review on GitHub is.

> I would consider all these points except the 5th as blockers.

Obviously I don't think they all are, but definitely some.

-Brett