[core-workflow] My initial thoughts on the steps/blockers of the transition

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jan 5 14:18:10 EST 2016

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 at 10:48 R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 17:50:53 +0000, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > If people are that worried, we could do a daily dump of the data. But
> > unless we can have all GitHub-related comments to an issue not trigger an
> > email update I don't think that's feasible as it would mean two emails
> for
> > every PR comment; one from GitHub and one from b.p.o.
>
> We can fairly easily have all github-originated comments not trigger an
> email to the nosy list.  We'd just need to add a check for the
> originating email address to the nosy reaction detector.  Even nicer
> would be to make it a per-user setting (I'd rather get the emails from
> b.p.o. and disable them on github, myself), but that would be a bit more
> work.
>
> It would be nice to have *all* of the discussion in one place.

If someone wants to put the work in to make that happen then that's fine by
me, but I do consider this a nicety and not a blocker. We haven't had code
review comments go into b.p.o on Rietveld either so this isn't that far off
from what we have now, especially if we block the transition on adding a
link back to the GitHub PR  through a web hook.