[core-workflow] Help needed: best way to convert hg repos to git?

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 01:27:37 EST 2016

> On 12 February 2016 at 03:07, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016, 16:43 Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> It depends on how crazy you want to go. For example, SVN-era merges
>>> don't appear as merges, but looks like some SVN-era branches don't
>>> exist in Hg to begin with (Would I need to get cpython-fullhistory?
>>> Cloning it gives me a 400 Bad Request). Do we care about that?
>>
>> Good question. If you are not an even clone it then that shows how much
>> people who are. Honestly I wouldn't worry since we have the history in the
>> hg repo (converting from svn was necessary to have it available without the
>> server).
>
> I care a bit. If I get the time, I would like to figure out a robust
> way to convert the Subversion history to Git so that the svnmerge
> information is included as proper merges.

I migrated most of KDE from SVN to Git, progressively converting a
single million-revision repository into hundreds of per-app Git
repositories.

Is it still possible to access the SVN repository? :)

> Some other highlights on my quest to investigate the holy Subversion
> respository (I can post my full notes somewhere if ppl are
> interested):
>
> * It is nice to have a local mirror of the Subversion repository so
> that experimenting with different options and programs isn’t horribly
> slow. But I don’t want to mirror everything or overload the server
> because there are other projects stored in the repository that seem to
> take up a lot of space (and download time).

The svn2git tool we used in KDE *requires* the repository to be local,
because the libsvn API it uses works with repositories, not server
URLs.

--
Nicolás