[core-workflow] GitHub migration update for 2016-12-19

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 19:14:36 EST 2016

On 21 December 2016 at 03:46, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> Long-term yes, but I'm under time pressure here and with no one helping me
> deal with this problem I went with the easiest solution that I knew
> wouldn't break unexpectedly (hence the simplification for mapping svn
> changesets to svn.python.org and not keeping all the code around to map
> to hg.python.org).

It's also one of those things where redirecting hg & svn references to the
matching git commits is only a requirement if and when we *do* decide to
shut off the old servers, which would break a *lot* of links in mailing
list archives, Stack Overflow, blog posts, etc.

Once we get to the point where all remote write access to both servers has
been shut off, a link-preserving, maintenance-reducing solution might be to
bake both the repository data and the corresponding web gateway software
into a pair of Linux container images and then host them wherever is
easiest for the PSF infrastructure team.

Cheers,
Nick.