[core-workflow] GitLab 8.11

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Aug 23 18:44:47 EDT 2016

On Aug 23, 2016, at 01:22 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>You noticed that, too, huh? :)

Oh yes!  Mailman 3 is hosted on GitLab, and I host almost all my personal
projects there, so I also get their newsletter.

>While the update makes me even more keen to move some of our work projects
>away from GitHub and back to GitLab (which we were already considering for
>reasons related to GitHub's limited access control management options for
>private repos), I didn't see anything that made me go "Yes, we absolutely
>need this for CPython".

Agreed, for now.  Of course, friendly competition is always good, and I use
GitHub for plenty of things, but I do really like GitLab.  Some things are
better/easier on one or the other hosting platform, but for CPython, I think
much more important to get us in git soon, and we can fairly easily migrate to
a different hosting platform later if we want.  We already have a python-devs
group and a python unofficial mirror, which I think we should keep up-to-date
as we complete the move to GitHub.

>After all, GitLab's "migrate away from GitHub" features are hardly going to
>get *worse* over time, so the risk of CPython actually getting *stuck* on
>GitHub is very low.  That means the main persistent workflow changes in the
>current migration are moving code review away from the issue tracker and into
>the repository management system, enabling bots to handle certain mundane
>review tasks (checking for CLA signatures, running the tests) and switching
>to self-service management of SSH keys for client authentication.

+1 of course.  It'll be a huge, good change for our workflow.  I know that
switching to git will make *me* more motivated to start contributing again.

Cheers,
-Barry