[core-workflow] Other thoughts on the workflow

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Nov 30 21:48:55 EST 2015

On Nov 29, 2015, at 11:31 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>I don’t know about Gitlab, but GitHub exposes PRs as heads in the remote
>repository.

Yes, GitLab has essentially the same thing.  I personally recommend fetching
the merge request branch, and then switching to it locally via some name,
e.g.

$ git fetch https://gitlab.com/person/mailman.git branch-to-merge
$ git checkout -b person/27 FETCH_HEAD

Now I clean up the person/27 branch, maybe make more comments, rebase, etc.
Once I'm happy with the branch, it's simple to

$ git co master
$ git merge person/27
$ git push

I generally let it fast-forward merge if possible (which it usually is if I
rebase).

Cheers,
-Barry