[core-workflow] Other thoughts on the workflow

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Nov 30 21:44:31 EST 2015

On Nov 29, 2015, at 08:08 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>What?! I've never worked with a GitHub-based project where you *had* to use
>the web-based merge process.

All GitLab merge requests have a button that pops up the commands you can copy
and paste into your terminal to do a local, manual merge.  There are several
reasons why I'll do it that way:

* I might want to clean up the branch a little bit and not bog the submitter
  down with style nits or whitespace issues.
* I might have to add a NEWS entry.
* I might want want run the test suite with a fix not applied, just to prove
  that the test actually exposes the problem.
* I might want to manually rebase all those commits for cleaner history or
  easier cherry-picking to stable branches.

OTOH, when something looks pretty clean, I'll just hit the auto-merge button,
perhaps telling it to rebase first.

I don't think there's anything special about GitLab here.  Either GitHub has
something similar, or it's just as easy to do via command line git if you can
remember the incantations.

Cheers,
-Barry