[core-workflow] Other thoughts on the workflow

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 22:54:45 EST 2015

On 30 November 2015 at 03:12, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. And the "do nothing" option is there, although it's
> so disliked by so many people that the chances of us not changing our
> workflow is pretty slim.

The interests of folks that prefer the terminal focused
"commit-locally-and-push" workflow can still be taken into account in
the evaluation though - while it appears likely either GitHub or
GitLab will be adopted as the repository management service, whether
or not the maintenance branches and the default branch are marked as
protected so even core developers *have* to go through the web based
merge process is a separate question.

There are also tools like git-pulls (Ruby:
https://github.com/schacon/git-pulls) and hub (Go:
https://hub.github.com/) that let folks review and merge GitHub PRs
from the terminal. (I had a quick look through some of the command
line clients listed at https://about.gitlab.com/applications/, but
didn't see anything as workflow focused as git-pulls or hub, so "good
support for terminal based usage" may count as a concrete technical
differentiator here)

Cheers,
Nick.