[core-workflow] Software Factory

Stefan Krah skrah.temporarily at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 19:00:36 EST 2015

M.-A. Lemburg <mal at ...> writes:
> On 30.12.2015 20:03, Stefan Krah wrote:
> > I don't care if they have been profitable by selling private repos on a
> > small/medium scale, the direction they're heading in is quite clear:
> >
> > Get people (esp. young ones) to work for free on OSS projects using
> > gamification, cute icons, "social" coding, and a fake hero-of-work ethos
> > fueled by "longest streak" statistics.  When these people are ready to enter
> > the job market, they can <euphemism>be brought in contact with</euphemism>
> > employers.
>
> FWIW: This business model is already being used by other companies
> scraping Github repos, analyzing checkins and then matching what
> they find against recruitment offers (basically automated head
> hunting).
>
> The same could be done with any other DVCS repo system, but Github
> is currently the most popular one out there. Ohloh, now renamed to
> Open Hub, has been doing such analysis for quite a while (with
> a different focus, though):
>
> https://www.openhub.net/p/python/contributors
>
> That's simply a consequence of having repos out in the open
> and not really specific to Github.

GitHub takes this to a new limit: When you create an account, you
are being told (gamification-style) how to get dark green squares
in your statistics, how to promote yourself using a picture, how
to use a single account for private and public repos, how to
keep the single account *even when switching companies*!

If you happen to work for a company that's on GitHub *and*
contribute to volunteer projects there, they basically have a
major part of your life on their servers. I don't think
OpenHub can match that in any way.

I'm not anti-corporate: If Microsoft would make us an offer
to manage our infrastructure, I'd rather have a Microsoft
account for Python development that a GitHub account.

Stefan Krah