[core-workflow] Questions about the proposed workflows

Berker Peksağ berker.peksag at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 06:42:13 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 1:24 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> It's Dec 1, which means it's time for any questions people have about the
> proposed workflows so we can get answers by Dec 15.
>
> I have one question that applies to both proposals and one specific to
> GitLab. The general one is whether both Guido and me can both be happy. :)
> Guido doesn't want intermediate commits nor what he calls "merge turds" to
> show up in the history. I want to be able to do merges from the browser. Do

I agree with Guido. --no-ff merge is probably the only GitHub feature
that I really dislike. It would be good to have a GitHub bot to handle
ff merges.

For example, with a bot, a core developer can add one of the following
comments to merge the PR;

    @biggles merge  # merges into master

    @biggles merge 3.5+  # merges into 3.5 and master (or merges into
master then cherry-pick it to 3.5)

This will also solve the pull request and email flood problem since a
contributor won't have to open N pull requests if their patch needs to
be backported to maintenance branches.

I will have some spare time to work on such a tool in the next months.

--Berker