[Conferences] tools for volunteer conferences

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sat Apr 30 19:27:27 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Brad Allen <bradallen137 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For PyTexas last year, we relied on a MoinMoin wiki for nearly
> everything which worked well for many things we needed to do. This
> year for PyTexas, I plan to continue to use the wiki, but find more
> suitable alternatives for particular use cases.
>
> * Registration: that was awkward for registration and didn't join
> easily to survey data. Jeremy Kelley and Josh Marshall built the
> conTroll web app during the PyCon 2011 sprints to create a more useful
> registration system.
>
> * To-do lists: I've found the GTD system to be useful for my own to-do
> lists, but haven't yet evaluated tools that support GTD for groups.
> Any suggestions? I'm planning to dig through some GTD resource lists
> (such as http://mashable.com/2009/01/29/getting-things-done/).
>
> * Event scheduling software: the wiki was somewhat tedious. PyCon
> scheduling used a custom web app, as well as a mobile conference
> scheduling app called The Conventionist (now renamed to GuideBook).
> Since GuideBook is now free (thanks to Jeremy Kelley for discovering
> that), I plan to use that.
>
> * Publicity: We'll continue with blogging, email, and twitter. However
> I suspect I'll need to explore creating some kind of advertisement on
> Facebook; several people have told me we can expand the audience that
> way. We'll also want to post our event date on http://techvenue.com/.
>
> * Attendee live discussion/note-taking: IRC is the old standby, and
> Convore was fun to use during the last PyCon. I imagine we'll do both
> for PyTexas this year.
>
> * Tracking sponsor relationships: This list is semi-private and shared
> in a Google docs spreadsheet, accessible only to our sponsor
> coordinators.
>

> Any thoughts on these ideas?

I am taking a really close look at  http://zookeepr.org - PyOhio is going to
use it for proposals and scheduling and maybe attendee registration if I can
figure out how to make that work.    I am going to use it for a few user
group meetings (way overkill, just doing it to get some hands on
experience.)

It has the schedule export I need to do videos, one of the main reasons I
have taken interest in it.

It has a pretty active development group, and I know 2 of them personally
and would vouch for their skills.

I would look it over.

--
Carl K