[Conferences] Resources for recruiting speakers

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:17:34 CEST 2009

I'm carrying this bit of conversation over from the pycon-organizers'
mailing list.

In general, it would be nice to have a great way to connect
conferences to potential speakers.  I introduced the wiki page (below)
in a lightning talk at PyCon 2008, but so far it's not the awesome
resource I dreamed of.  Maybe it just needs more publicity... or maybe
there's a better way to do it.  I would *love* to hear ideas.

(... though, as it turns out, speakers were not a problem for PyOhio
at all - we got about 10 for our first year, and for this July, 25!)

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Filip Kłębczyk<delta at rybnik.net.pl> wrote:
> We are in the middle of composing PyCon PL agenda. It would be good to
> have at least one speaker from abroad who is expert on some topic - it
> makes conference more attractive. Maybe subscribers of this mailing list
> could help us to find someone?

On the general topic of helping conferences and speakers find each
other, that's the intent of this wiki page:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSpeakers

... which, granted, hasn't really achieved critical mass yet.  I'd
planned to spam all this year's PyCon speakers with invitations to
sign themselves up, but... uh.

Another resource, for women speakers specifically, is geekspeakr.com -
presently dominated by (gasp) Rubyists.

Powodzenia!

--
- Catherine