[Conferences-discuss] Re: [PSF-Members] Python11 at OSCON2003

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 22 May 2002 20:41:11 -0400

> However, we should ensure that the PSF has a way to receive proceeds
> from the conference. If we are simply a draw for OSCON, but with no
> potential benefit, then I would fail to see why we should
> participate. (specifically: lend the "PSF name" to this)

I think a big benefit for the PSF is that there will be a
professionally run conference at all.  As you know we had a
professionally run conference to date, but that organizer is not
interested in losing more money, and I'm not interested in continuing
the strained relationship with them.  I'm also not interested in
looking for another independent organizer.  O'Reilly is more
Python-friendly than anyone I can imagine, and other organizers may
frown upon hearing that this has always been losing money.

I'm not sure that they'll use the PSF name, but they'll use the
Python11 moniker, which makes it pretty official.

Anyway, I'll bring up the issue of passing profits to the PSF, but I
won't require it.

> I'll note that the Apache Software Foundation has made on the order
> of $100k over the past two/three years from its conferences. In
> fact, we had a notable lack of income last year when our conference
> organizer folded, and we had to cancel the Con.

There are may ways to look at that information less than favorably.

> While the ASF arguably has a larger and broader interest base than
> the PSF, I don't see a specific reason why a PSF conference could
> not generate proceeds for us.

Because it never made money in the past?