[Conferences-discuss] Update: YAPyC 2003 (Washington, DC)

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:45:50 -0600

For universities, you could look at dorms during spring break, and
schedule around that.

You could also consider using community college facilities.

The other thing to do is research local lodgings and make a list,
which can include youth hostels, motel 6, etc., and any other
creative solutions (campgrounds).

On 7/17/2002 at 8:25 AM Adam Turoff wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 09:58:27AM +0100, Michael Hudson wrote:
>> Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com> writes:
>> > I'm also ignoring some of the more substantive issues:
conference
>> > theme, target audience, target tracks, general scheduling
(mid-winter
>> > seems OK so far), and overall expectations for this event.  I
really
>> > don't have a voice for any of these issues, and the best I can
do here
>> > is describe what's been done at four North American YAPC
events to
>date.
>>
>> Cheap-ish accomodation could be an issue (though given that I
would be
>> coming from Europe, flights are probably going to dominate...).
>
>I'm starting with the assumption that this is a
community-organized
>event that replaces the Foretec-organized IPC in DC in the winter.
>The couple of Europeans I met last year seemed to accept the
airfare,
>hotel and rather expensive conference fees at IPC.
>
>I agree that it would be nice to offer some inexpensive
accomodation.
>That's been another hallmark of YAPC, at least in the US.
>Unfortunately, that only becomes available in the summer (e.g.
>university dorms), when flights are significantly more expensive.
>For example, I could fly to London and pay for a hotel room for
>about $500-$800 in the winter, but the flight alone to London in
>the summer is about the same cost.  (Just a random datapoint).
>
>There are other, less obvious effects on the community by having
>a community-run conference in the summer a few weeks away from the
>Python Conference at OSCon.  Not only do the events compete with
each
>other, but it places a stress on the speakers who speak at both
events.
>We're seeing some of this with YAPC/TPC.
>
>Z.

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar