[Conferences-discuss] Let's step back a bit...

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:24:10 -0500

On 14 February 2002, David Ascher said:
> Note that the YAS model is "dirt cheap" and "volunteer heavy".  This may
> or may not be what best fits the Python community.  I'm especially
> worried about the volunteer heavy part =).

The major danger with the Python community is that everyone will expect
on an absolutely smooth-running conference, with all the latest
high-tech bells and whistles, automatic fail-over to a backup facility,
and perfect communication between everyone involved.  We'll all say,
"That should be doable with Python", and then wait for someone else to
implement it all.  Three years later, we'll wonder when the conference
is, and start the whole discussion all over again -- only this time,
Python will have some new features that will make it trivial to add even
more functionality to the conference... so we'll expect those new
features to magically be added by someone, and wonder why ...

... oh never mind.  You get the picture. ;-)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux weenie                                gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/