[Conferences-discuss] Let's step back a bit...

Jacob Hallén jacob@strakt.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:03:55 +0100

Some comments that may broaden the thinking around a poll:

David Ascher wrote:

>    Location:
>       Rate your top three preferences
>           [ ] East Coast, US
>           [ ] West Coast, US
>           [ ] South, US
>           [ ] Midwest, US
>           [ ] Canada
>           [ ] Europe

One idea is to have a rotating conference. With the standardisation
conferences in the library world, we have members volunteer to host a
meeting, with a planning horizon of about 2 mmetings into the future.
These meetings are rather small with about 80 attendees max. They
usually have two meetings in North America followed by one meeting
elsewhere (usually Europe). I think it is very much a matter of where we
can get the key people (Guido, Tim, Barry, David, Martin et al) to show up.

>    Type of conference:
>           1) Workshop -- more talks on internals, development issues
>           2) Conference -- more talks on case studies
>
>    Time of year
>         May-June
>         July-August
>         Sept-Oct
>         Jan-Feb
>         other.  [I have no idea what times are possible]

Is this very important? My own criteria is that it shouldn't overlap
with OSCON. Either it should be back-to-back with it to save travel
costs or it should be at a different time of year.

>    Preferred conference & hotel costs acceptable:
>         $100
>         $250
>         $400
>         $500
>         $750
>         $1000
>         $1500

Maybe: What do you think is a reasonable cost for a 4 day conference?

>    Maximum conference & hotel costs acceptable:
>         $100
>         $250
>         $400
>         $500
>         $750
>         $1000
>         $1500
>
>    Type of accomodation acceptable:
>       - dorm room
>       - cheap hotel
>       - nice hotel

Make this a preference question. My personal would be 1. Cheap Hotel 2.
Dorm Room 3. Nice hotel. Any one is acceptable.