[concurrency] Talk worth watching

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Feb 22 00:19:26 CET 2012

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:01:43 -0600
Jeremy McMillan <jeremy.mcmillan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if there isn't a perspective available from the AST or something
> that would allow cherry-picking sections of logic which can be decomposed
> more or less like what you'd end up with from strict functional code, and
> possibly executing them in another context (interpreter context, thread,
> greenlet?) which would allow releasing the GIL. Or possibly the opposite,
> and cherry pick sections of code which must acquire the GIL?

It certainly looks possible. You don't really need "functional code",
just code that you can guarantee contains no references to variables
that might be shared. A tool that simply checked functions for being
"thread safe" in this way would have a number of uses - starting with
deciding how useful such a tool would be in practice.

	 <mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.