[concurrency] Issues with the current concurrency mechanisms in Python

Andrey Popp 8mayday at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:22:36 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 07:49:56AM +1000, James Mills wrote:
> I think one thing that could also help is micro threads and/or
> greenlet support built in to Python.

I'm thinking more of allowing Python interpreter to have replaceable I/O and
threading runtimes, like PyPy or JVM can replace garbage collection mechanisms
using command line switch.

So we can have same code base working under native OS threads or coroutines
implemented with greenlets or POSIX {get,make,set,swap}context functions or
whatever else. Same for I/O -- socket/time/signal/... modules should be
provided by active runtime so no monkey patching (like gevent does) should be
happened any more.