[Compiler-sig] More jython progress.

Eric C. Newton ecn@metaslash.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 21:19:12 -0400

> Yeah, but you want to live without the ability to add new class instance
> attributes?

Perhaps I'm just getting hung up on definitions.

I was translating "class instance attributes" as "object attributes"
since an "instance of a class" is called an "object".  Now that I
think about it, it could mean "attributes which are stored in
classes".

If I can add attributes to the objects which make up the tree, then
great!  I don't put any attributes in a class.

> If we decide that the AST node must support attributes then I can also
> add it to jython. I can simple do a kind of deepcopy of the tree that
> returns real class instances in place of the java instances. It will
> just make the AST tree building from python a little slower.

Slower is not better.  I prefer to work in python, even if I have a
few more rules.  If it gets slower, I'll be forced to go to C.

I tried to work with the C version of the AST for a few hours.  It
wasn't pleasant.

-Eric