[Compiler-sig] dipping my toe in...

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:03:13 -0500

    SM> Does the "?" imply the preceeding fields must be present if that is?
    SM> For example, if we have an "inst", does that imply we also have a
    SM> "type" the same way optional args work in Python?

    Jeremy> It's not that powerful.  It just says that the type is optional.
    Jeremy> So the Raise ctor above would actually accept a raise statement
    Jeremy> with only a traceback.

So the parser is the "guard at the gate" to prevent such stuff from turning
up in the AST?

I ask these because I'm still a little confused about what exactly this
stuff does.  Looking at test.py

    import ast
    print ast.transform("""global a, b, c
    a + b - c * 3
    """)

suggests that somehow it's parsing the Python code, but that's not what's
happening.  Still, it's not clear why ast_transform always returns None.

Sorry for the frontal lobe density...

Skip