[Compiler-sig] progress on new AST

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:55:26 -0400

  SM> What needs to be pitched?  I'm generally more familiar with
  SM> pitching stuff out, but not in a software setting.

Reviewing the AST to make sure it accurately describes Python.  Once I
get started on the transformer, there will be lots of code to write.
I don't know how easy it will be to split that task up.

  SM> Will the new ASDL code eventually lead to more user-friendly
  SM> error messages and decent enough error recovery that it won't
  SM> have to give up after the first syntax error it encounters?

Unfortunately, no.  The ASDL stuff describes the AST -- a compiler
intermediate representation.  The error recovery needs to be added to
the parser.

Jeremy