[Compiler-sig] Producing tokens for a Forth machine?

Dirk-Ulrich Heise hei@adtranzsig.de
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:55:01 +0100

Hi list!

I finished the foundation for Forth interpreted
in Python. It can be thought of as a Forth with
Python objects on the stack, and Python object
semantics hold.

The Forth machine model is the simplest interpreter
i can think of. That's why i want to explore something
like this:

1.) Parse Python
2.) produce Forth definitions / tokens for my Forth
  machine

The Forth can call any Python functionality.
So, if there was a parser for Python written as a PYthon
module, 2.) could be doable for me. Is there a
suitable module?

[Why would anyone want to do something as crazy
 as this? 1.) It's easy to port the Forth machine to
 C/C++ later 2.) I think, things like a peephole
 optimizer or a type inferencer can take advantage
 of the simple Forth code model; maybe helping
 each other.]
[The Forth machine is at
http://www.egroups.com/group/synthetoforth ]

Dipl.Inform. Dirk-Ulrich Heise