[Compiler-sig] Problem installing Python1.4 on OS/390 V2R10

Kevin Mullin kmullin@uswest.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:47:54 -0700

I hope someone out there has already tried this and can help me.

There is an IBM website at
http://www.s390.ibm.com/products/oe/python.html with instructions on
installing Python 1.4 on OS/390.  I've followed those instructions to
install Python 1.4 (hopefully, later I'll go to 2.0).  After following
the instructions on this site, I do the configure (which completes fine)
and the make.  But the make generates the following:

cc  -O -o python         \
  IEW2785S D21A AN ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN FILE STATISTICS FOR PATHNAME ./
FAILED.
    .HFS. ISSUED RETURN CODE 00000081 AND REASON CODE 053B006C.
  IEW2470E 9511 ORDERED SECTION CEESTART NOT FOUND IN MODULE.
  IEW2648E 5111 ENTRY CEESTART IS NOT A CSECT OR AN EXTERNAL NAME IN THE
MODULE.
FSUM3065 The LINKEDIT step ended with return code 12.

Has anyone ever seen this?  Since it seems to be complaining about ./, I
changed every directory in the path of Python1.4 (which resulted from
the pax) to 777.  Also, Return Code 00000081 is documented in the USS
Messages and Codes as saying simply that the file/directory is not
found.  Unfortunately, the Reason Code is not documented.

Help!

--
Kevin L. Mullin
Qwest Communications