[Compiler-sig] changes to ast

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:28:44 -0500 (EST)

  >> These changes made the code faster
  MH> How much faster?  Significantly?  The speed of this is still my
  MH> biggest issue, and may get around to looking at the C
  MH> implemented compiler tools announced here (by the Wing people?)
  MH> not too long ago...

I don't know if it is significantly faster or not.  I wasn't guided by
a specific goal; I just spent an afternoon seeing if the profiler
showed anything obvious.  There were a couple of hot spots that I
fixed, but nothing dramatic.

I actually haven't compared old times and new times.

Do you have specific performances goals that could be addressed?

What kind of tree does the Wing IDE code produce?  I saw the
announcement, but haven't had time to look at it.

  >> but I wonder how many people depended on the old sequence-style
  >> access protocol.

  MH> .NET does, but I am happy to move to this new scheme - the code
  MH> is definitely clearer without using node indexing...

Ok.

Jeremy