[Compiler-sig] copyright/license BS (was: P2C stuff)

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 02:32:10 -0500

[Greg Stein]
> Heck... many of the modules that I've written, I call Public Domain. In
> other words: I'm not even asserting a copyright!
>
> The reason why I label stuff public domain? Because I don't want to deal
> with mail threads exactly like this one. Copyright this, copyright that.
> Did you send a disclaimer? How about a wet signature form? Did you make
> sure to label each piece properly? Is that yours, or theirs? Do these
> licenses work together? Is one viral? blah fucking blah.

For anyone able to, I highly recommend public domain too!  In fact, the only
thing of mine I *didn't* put in the public domain was the Emacs pymode,
because I inherited a skeleton mode that already had a stinkin' copyright
notice so felt I had to follow suit.  This bad decision dogged me for 5+
years, hassling over & over to get the copyright assigned to the FSF.  At
one point I filed paperwork to put pymode in the public domain so FSF could
claim it was always theirs -- but that didn't fly either.  It looks like the
FSF does have the copyright now, as just last week I finally got back a copy
of the latest batch of papers I signed..

Note that the Icon language has been in the public domain from the start --
people could learn a lot from Ralph Griswold <wink>.

twaddle-aversive-ly y'rs  - tim