[Compiler-sig] P2C stuff (was: Compiler-sig digest, Vol 1 #7 - 2 msgs)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:38:38 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Bill Tutt wrote:
> > From: Jeremy Hylton <jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us>
> >   MH> If you just change the COPYRIGHT file to reflect that it was
> >   MH> taken from the P2C project and renamed to "compiler.tools"
> >   MH> everyone should be happy I would think...
> >
> > Sounds good to me; makes sense to move the visitor code to
> > compiler.tools.  This change okay with you, Greg & Bill?
> >

> Works for me.

I'm a bit unclear on what is proposed here... If (portions of?) P2C
becomes compiler.tools, then I don't think that you'd want to put more
stuff in there (implying that it was Bill's/mine).

Now, if you said "files X,Y,Z are subject to the following copyright
statement and license: ...", then I'd be just as happy. Or if the P2C
stuff was placed into "compiler.p2c".

Talking with Guido at the '96 IPC, he described his attitude with Python.
I'll take the same position with P2C:

    "Do what you want with it, but please don't try to pass it off as your
     own work."

That said: feel free to organize the stuff however you feel, and don't
feel obligated to run your decision past me.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/