[code-quality] Pylint hosting on ReadTheDocs prevents successful searches

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch marc at rintsch.de
Fri Jan 26 23:49:24 EST 2018

On 26/01/18 13:05, Quantum Mechanic wrote:
> Googling for "pylint pylintrc" gives me the first hit
> as https://docs.pylint.org/en/1.6.0/run.html.
>
> This lands me on https://docs.pylint.org/en/1.6.0/run.html, asking me to
> login. I have a login, and clicking "Login" sends me
> to https://readthedocs.org/dashboard/, spoiling the google search.

This page doesn't ask me for login.

> In fact, searching on google only shows me that something might be
> there. I have to search *again* on ReadTheDocs, which isn't friendly at all.

This is something you should complain about to Google.  That bloody
thing, as good is it might be, is still not that good at mind reading,
and presenting you the exact information you want, and only that
information, even when you provide ample information about what exactly
you are after, like in your case with even *two* words.  ;-)

> Poking around until I find a search box
> at https://pylint.readthedocs.io/en/latest/, I type in "pylintrc", which
> returns the *same bloody page* (OK, yes, it has this helpful
> bit: https://pylint.readthedocs.io/en/latest/?highlight=pylintrc, which
> does exactly...nothing.)

This also doesn't happen for me.  I get a page with search results (long
link, might be broken into more than one line in Email):

https://pylint.readthedocs.io/en/latest/search.html?q=pylintrc&check_keywords=yes&area=default

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
--
Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.